Saturday 27 July 2013

Dysesthesia - yet another effect of the stroke!

As everyone knows Pete has been suffering a lot of pain, mainly in his heel.  But I have also noticed over the last few weeks that he has become very sensitive to me touching him on his right arm and leg, even if I just lightly touch him he really flinches and pushes my hand away.  Another thing is that he now can't drink a hot cup of tea or eat anything too hot - tea has to be really milky to cool it down.  I had asked his consultant if the stroke could make him more sensitive to pain, to which he replied yes.  Having now had a copy of the letter to the GP, it seems Pete is now suffering from dysesthesia!  (Just one more thing to deal with!). Probably caused by mini strokes and epilepsy - his brain messages seem truly scrambled!!  Having Googled (whatever did we do without Google?!??) dysesthesia, it comes from 'dys' meaning not normal and 'aesthesis' meaning sensation - basically the distortion of any sense, especially touch.  The consultant's letter said the antidepressants and higher dose of epilepsy tablets would help manage this, but also another drug could be added if it became necessary. Pete refused this drug and then I found he had cut the epilepsy tablets and he won't take antidepressants, so probably no wonder it has got worse!  Yesterday he seemed to be in even worse pain and after discussing it with him, and him promising to take the nerve blocking tablets if I got them prescribed for him, I rang the surgery and booked a phone call from his GP.  At lunch time his dr rang - so told him what I wanted, but he hadn't got round to booked calls yet, he was just ringing to say he would be visiting that afternoon to see Pete and how his mood was!   The Psychologist from Monday had contacted him with her concerns!  He agreed to prescribe the nerve blocking tablets and would bring the script with him.  When he came, he talked to Pete and was so good with him - he was very concerned that Pete had stopped the antidepressants but suggested another one that would help his mood, help his appetite and help him sleep.  Pete has agreed to take these aswell, so I hope we may be on the right road now.  He has started the nerve blockers (and I have also told Pete they help to re-route brain messages which he has accepted - a white lie in a good cause I hope)  and will start the new antidepressants in the middle of next week, this is so that he doesn't have too many new tablets at once.  
Pete took the first of the nerve blockers this morning - he has to take 1 today, 2 tomorrow and then 3 on Monday and every day after that.  This morning he seemed really good and didn't have as much pain as usual, but it returned this afternoon, so I'm hoping they will cover all day once he is on full dose. Fingers crossed - and everything else please!! 
The GP also said I must ring if I have any worries or concerns and if I want him to visit that will not be a problem.  Regular followers of my blog will know this is such a difference from the previous GPs, I still get blown away at the level of care we get now, I so wish I had changed a few months ago when Pete started going downhill, but there we are that is all in the past now.
I am planning on going out with the lovely ladies again tomorrow night, it is ages since we were able to meet so I am really looking forward to that.  Something to look forward to at last! 

No comments:

Post a Comment