Saturday 7 September 2013

Saga of Antibiotics!

Yesterday was a really rubbish day which began at 4.30am!  Pete woke me at that time to try to tell me something was not right with his catheter.  I still don't know what his problem was as he seemed to think it was blocked, it wasn't, then he thought it was leaking, it wasn't, but he definitely wasn't happy with it.  We had a cup of tea as I tried to convince him all was well.  Then he had some painkillers and he eventually went back to sleep for about an hour - but I couldn't as was still trying to figure out what the problem had been.  For the rest of the day I felt really depressed and also was very cold for some reason - just reaction to all the problems I think.  When he woke he still wasn't happy but I said he was on antibiotics and painkillers - nothing else to do, which he eventually accepted.
I am still trying to chase up an appointment in the Urology Department and he insisted I ring again, which I did.  She said she would check what was happening and ring me back - which, surprise, surprise, she didn't!! 
Antibiotics!  I left it on Wednesday that the surgery hadn't rung back, so Thursday morning I was on the phone to them again.  The lady I spoke to knew nothing about my Wednesday phone call and the GP was on a day off so she would get the duty doctor to ring, which he did within about 10 minutes!   He prescribed some antibiotics and would fax to pharmacy for me to collect.  So off I go to get them but it took ages for the pharmacy to find the prescription.  Back home I eventually go and Pete took one straight away, but about an hour later he had a violent shaking session and said he felt very odd!  This didn't last too long so I basically just let it go.  Friday morning he took another one and again said he felt weird (although no shaking) and threw the packet down to indicate he would not take any more.  So, on the phone again to the surgery!  Having established his GP was there I booked a phone call from him, but the receptionist was particularly officious and it was back to patient confidentiality again - would Mr. Dutt be there to take the call?  No, he has aphasia and I will speak for him.  I am afraid we can't do that with patient confidentiality. I said the dr. was well aware of the situation and would speak to me - just book the call!  I was a bit short with her as really had had enough without her opinions. The first thing the dr. did was apologise most profusely for not doing the prescription Monday - no excuses, he just hadn't done it and didn't know why not (scrub the black mark against him as he totally admitted he was in the wrong).  He faxed another prescription through to the pharmacy for me to collect.  Which I did within half an hour without too many problems.  There are about 5 or 6 people working in the pharmacy and I think, when they see me coming, they all disappear and pick straws and whoever gets the short one has to deal with me!!!  Things are never straight forward in there! 
Candy, the psychologist, came Thursday and Pete got on well with the session, but he did say his mood was good all the time - which it isn't! But I didn't say anything.  We talked about dogs and Pete having enjoyed a visit from a springer spaniel on Tuesday and his general love of dogs and she said she will bring her Lurcher with her on her next visit - so Pete was thrilled to hear that and is looking forward to it in two weeks' time.
Finally, two photos of Mivvi who has settled in very well!  Martin is still very nervous and terrified of scraping her or bumping anything, but he is a good driver and all will be well I'm sure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment