Thursday 24 April 2014

As Good As It's Going To Get

No blog for over a week - this is because nothing at all has changed or happened worth posting about.  I think we have now reached the stage of 'this is as good as it is going to get'.  Pete makes no improvement at all, and hasn't now for some time.  He doesn't want to do the writing and trying to make words from sounds any more.  The only good thing is that, at least he is not going backwards.  He walks round the house with his quad stick and helps lay the table for a meal, but nothing else.  Each day is the same for him, he never wants to go out anywhere or do anything.  We get up some time between 9 and 9.30, have breakfast and then he either listens to music, plays Angry Birds on the ipad or does jigsaws (49 pieces) on the ipad.  Lunch is at 12 and then Pete goes on the bed at 1pm for a sleep.  He gets up again between 2.30 and 3 and watches tv. Tea is between 4.30 and 5 and then Pete is off to the bed again at 5.30. until 7 and then watches tv in the sitting room until between 8.30 and 9 when he goes to bed, he likes to be settled in bed by 9 and he watches tv. I usually go to bed between 10 and 10.30 and then we watch tv until 11 when he settles down for the night.  So, as you can see, every day is very regimented and always the same.  Pete likes to do everything at the same time every day, the only changes he makes is if I have to go out and then he goes on the bed again!!!  If I have to go out then I try to go whilst he is having his afternoon rest and be back by the time he wakes again, but sometimes things occur when I have to be out at different times.
Life certainly isn't a bowl of cherries but I think I now have to get used to this regime and, to be honest, I can deal with life as it is as long as Pete doesn't get any infections or anything to disrupt the routine.  I do, obviously, get very down at times and still, at times, embark on crying jags!!!! But not so much now!! 
So there you are, that is our life now and probably how it will continue for the foreseeable future.
I will continue to blog about my life as a carer of a stroke survivor and any progress made, but not so often - otherwise everyone will get very bored with the same old thing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment