Wednesday 4 June 2014

Addiction

Addiction - a very sensitive subject.  I thought a lot about whether or not I would write this post about Pete's addiction to some of the medication he takes - it has caused me much worry and puts me in a dilemma as to whether or not to support him.  I feel incredibly guilty that I have let the situation occur and, in fact, have helped him feed the addictions.  It is very hard to admit this.  
The main problem is that Pete has a very low tolerance of pain and suffers from dysthesia (that may be the wrong word, I can't remember!) which is abnormal and heightened sensitivity.  During a particularly bad period of pain the GP prescribed some oral morphine - and he is still having it!  He is actually allowed 8 spoonfuls a day, but I never ever told him this and have only ever given him one spoon in the morning and another late afternoon - he thinks this is the maximum dose he can have.  He insists he have it, although he doesn't need it really, but for a quiet life and to keep him happy I administer it!!  The other thing he doesn't know is that I have been watering it down for several weeks, and he hasn't noticed, so rather proves my point he doesn't really need it!  
The other medication he insists on having every day, regardless, is the codeine/paracetamol painkillers.  He has been gradually taking more each day to the point where his regular prescription runs out well before the month is up.  I have aided this addiction in that I then buy more but that is getting increasingly difficult as they don't just sell them willy-nilly.  On Monday I picked up his prescription and, by then, he was taking 9 a day - I know, I know, not good by any stretch of the imagination.!   I really had got extremely worried by then so gave him a right lecture and told him he was going to run out of them in 10 days and that then he would be on his own dealing with having NO painkillers apart from regular paracetamol as I was unable, and unwilling, to get any more for the following 20 days.  He really didn't seem bothered about what I said but must have thought about it as yesterday and today he has cut it right back to 4 a day!  Again proving my point that he doesn't really need them.  He has been miserable and bad tempered for these 2 days but that is what I would expect when he suddenly more than halves what he has been having.
His third addiction, which doesn't concern me as much, is that he has to have a sleeping tablet every night.  Won't even try to sleep without it, but I am happy to go along with it as it is pretty miserable not being able to sleep - time drags enough for him I think. 
His final addiction - which I am quite happy to feed - is for a bar of Turkish delight every evening!! 
Anyway, as I said, I have tremendous feelings of guilt in supporting these addictions and find it very hard to admit that I do, but I really hate seeing him in pain, even if it is all in his head! So, judge me as you will, but I wonder what others would do. I do all I can to make his life easier and more bearable, sometimes by doing the wrong thing I know. 
This has probably been one of the hardest blogs to write - it's not easy to admit you haven't done the right thing, but actually I feel better for really admitting and writing about the problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment