Wednesday 28 May 2014

First Catheter Change

Today Pete had to go back to the hospital for the first change of the suprapubic catheter.  It is 8 weeks since it was put in.  I was a bit nervous about how it would go and I think Pete was aswell as he didn't have any breakfast - I really wish he could tell me how he feels sometimes.  However it all went very smoothly and he doesn't seem to have any after effects apart from asking for more painkillers than usual as it was obviously a bit sore around the entry site.  The nurse was pleased with the site and said we don't need to keep a dressing on any more as it is nice and clean.  All further changes (every 12 weeks) can now be done by the district nurses.  I have to mention that since having it inserted Pete hasn't had any urine infections so that is a definite improvement.
Whilst Pete was having his catheter changed Mel (our daughter in law and also one of the Lovely Ladies) was taking her driving test and I am so pleased to say she passed on her first test. So the number of drivers in our family has trebled in the last month!!!  I am sure Martin is relieved as we won't have to rely on him too much in future!  Mind you, he has promised to take me out tomorrow evening so that we can nail this parking in a car park business! 
This evening Pete dropped a glass and, unfortunately, it smashed.  He gets very upset if anything like that happens - whereas pre-stroke he would have just cleaned it up and shrugged his shoulders, now it turns into something major.  I have to calm him down and assure him that it isn't a problem and accidents happen to everyone, but he finds it hard.  
Another one of the Lovely Ladies lost a dear friend of hers today, sadly to a brain tumour, but it did emphasise to me how lucky I am that I still have Pete. Not exactly the same person as before but still my soulmate. 
So I need to count my blessings when I get depressed and not feel so sorry for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment