Sunday 17 March 2013

Leg Problems!

After Pete's leg being so bad on Friday, yesterday he woke up with no pain at all. This lasted just about all day but in the evening he again had pain, but not so bad as Friday. We had done a lot of exercises during the day and he had also done a fair bit of walking around the house. So why does it keep stiffening up? My sister has given me details of other stronger painkillers which I shall enquire about at the pharmacy when next I go to town. I have to be careful as to what medications he can mix. I bought some Deep Heat cream to try but, on reading the insert, it said it couldn't be used if you are taking anti-coagulants. Why not? The physios didn't know so I asked the Boots pharmacist and she said that anti-coagulants make the skin extra sensitive, so it can be used but only very sparingly.
Today the leg is giving a bit of pain but not unbearable. Pete hasn't taken any paracetemols which is a good sign. We have done a few exercises but not too much. It's difficult to know whether to continue whilst the pain is there, but we do some if only to try to loosen the muscles. This afternoon we were going to go out but Pete didn't want to because of his leg, so I went out with Martin to do a bit of practice on gear changing. This is quite good as Martin can't shout at his mother!!! Anyway, when we got back I found the half-step was out at the door - this meant Pete had been outside ... On his own! Naughty! In the sitting room was a vase with daffodils in - he had been out and picked them - against all instructions! But they look really nice and Pete was pleased with himself and what he had done - so you can't be cross can you?!?!
As I go back to work on Tuesday I have been making the final preparations. Bev and Suzanne both know I won't be there for sessions so they know where the diary is to make their appointments (I have to make sure it is always right up to date) and I have got the communication book ready for messages. More importantly, we have set up the phone with the SOS button with Mel as a back up number if mine doesn't ring. We have tried it out and worked out the procedure to follow. I think! The bed doesn't need to be made, but if Pete is up before I go ( which he says he will be) then I can make it, and he will use a thermos to take tea into the sitting room. Sorted!!
My main instruction to him - DON'T FALL OVER!! Oh yes, and he wants me to come home during my break just for the first day. So, fingers crossed, it will all be fine.
Tomorrow it's Vista Class in the morning and then the venesection in the afternoon. No doubt that will be another long wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment