Monday 11 March 2013

No Speech - problems

First of all, yesterday's lunch of roast beef went well - I didn't cause Pete too much grief! The only thing I did wrong was put the Yorkshire puddings in too early, but amidst much shaking with rage, Pete did manage to rescue them and they turned out alright.
Today was the third Vista Class for Pete and I determined I would have to ask someone what he had done. It makes me feel a bit like a pushy mother asking what her child has done in school that day!! I wish I could just ask him and he could tell me about it - but that is obviously not possible. As luck would have it, Suzie, who used to come to do physio, was there so I nabbed her and asked her how he was doing. He goes on the exercise bike a lot and they do exercises to stretch his arm. She said the main thing is that they also have to build up his stamina. I asked Pete if he enjoyed these sessions and he nodded 'yes' with a smile, so that is a relief.
Speech Therapy today with Bev and she brought someone along with her who was also called Bev!! (Everyone who comes is called either Suzanne, Suzie, Claire or Bev!!). I'm not too sure who this other one was but it all went well apparently with lots of communication. Bev said that Pete wrote a first letter of a word, which is the first time she has seen that. Yesterday Pete wanted me to get the washing for the machine and wrote an M, then laughed and wrote the appropriate W!! At least he can laugh about his problems! Also today he has started to write the letter on his leg with his finger, or on the wall with a finger, depending where we are, so that is helpful if the pad and pen aren't near. No full words today, but plenty of correct first letters.
His right leg was ok yesterday, with no pain he said, and I think it has been alright again today. He didn't use the ankle brace much yesterday so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem - again I so wish he could talk to me and explain it all. Today he put the FES on for the first time in days. I don't know what made him put it on but it seemed to be working, he kept it on for most of the day, took it off late afternoon and hasn't used anything for the rest of today. I don't know if he will put it on tomorrow or not, just have to wait and see.
Lastly, I had a phone call from the doctors surgery today asking to speak to Pete, I said no and asked if I could help - was told to get him to ring them!! Yet again, I then had to say he has had a stroke and has no speech so they would have to go through me. This, apparently, could be a problem but eventually she decided she didn't have a choice!! Really??? It was only to make an appointment for him to have a blood test (yet again, I'm sorry doc, you are keeping to schedule re blood tests) - but why are they not aware of the situation before telephoning? I hate having to say again and again that he can't talk on the phone. You would think that, of all people, the doctors surgery would be aware.
Tomorrow Pete has another hospital appointment in the Haematology Dept. so, no doubt, I will have to go through it all again. I think I may just say he has severe aphasia and see how they react as I bet half of them have never heard of it! Says me who had never heard of it before last July!! But then I don't work in medical departments!

No comments:

Post a Comment