Tuesday 7 May 2013

Other People's Opinions

Well, so far, so good - the antibiotics are still doing their job, but still a few days to go.
Pete's leg is playing up a bit but we need to keep walking and he has found if he sits with his leg up on a chair or the coffee table, this stretches the muscles and gives him a bit of relief.
The aphasia is still causing us grief - it is 10 months now but still no speech improvement. I really miss having two sided conversations rather than the 20 question episodes we have now. Sometimes Pete struggles so hard to try and say something, but to no avail, and this is very distressing for him and for me to watch him struggle is upsetting. He does really well on getting the first letter of words but we haven't progressed any further than that. He hasn't had any speech therapy for a couple of weeks but has a session this Friday when I will be at home so can have a chat and update with Bev. I'm hoping she will have some suggestions on how we can move forward. When I tell someone that Pete has no speech they seem to tend to think that he can actually say some words but can't say sentences or speak fluently, I think they don't really believe that his only word is 'yes' . They seem pretty startled that I do literally mean 'NO speech' and ask the obvious question 'how do you manage?' The answer is - we don't!! Frustration rules I'm afraid! It is especially bad when he isn't well, trying to find out his exact symptoms is a nightmare and he also seems to lose his sense of reasoning which makes life very difficult. People also think that well, he can't speak so he can write stuff down - again, a big fat no! All tools of communication gone.
Enough now of that depressing subject, I really feel I need to see some miracle. It's so hard, especially when dealing with it on your own.
Another thing said to me lately was that I need to get help and get someone to come and be with him whilst I go out and relax - but I can't do that as I know Pete can be left on his own but if I go out to have a good time I would feel so guilty as its not something he can do now. I am conscious of where he is, what is he doing, what is he thinking, ALL the time. So we have to battle on as we are with no changes on the horizon.
And that is enough for tonight I think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment