Saturday 29 June 2013

Does a Stroke Heighten Some Senses?

Firstly, the good news is that Pete has stopped staying in bed so much.  He has been getting up at the usual time for the last 3 days and then staying up all day, Thursday and Friday evenings he did go back to bed in the evenings for about an hour or an hour and a half, but then getting up again and finally going to bed about 9.30pm, which is earlier than he ever used to, but at least the majority of the time he is out of bed.  Tonight he hasn't gone to bed in the evening.
The nurse came on Thursday to look at the remains (!!) of the blister on his heel and declared it to be nice and clean and not weeping.  She put a foam heel cushion on it to protect it and will visit again in a week's time to check it, in the meantime I have to keep an eye on it to check it stays dry mainly.  The thing is that Pete seems totally obsessive about it and removes the cushion with monotonous regularity to see how it is, even though I keep saying to leave it alone and that the more he touches it, the more likely he is to get an infection.  He is inspecting it about every hour!!!  
The other point I want to make is that it seems to cause him a lot more pain than it would cause you or me - he is on paracetamols every 4 hours, and not just 2 tablets, but takes 3 at a time.  This is way over the maximum daily recommended dose, but he gets in a rage if I say to stop taking so many.  
So, the question is, does a stroke heighten and exaggerate some of the senses?  When Pete has any sort of pain he tells me it is absolute agony - be it leg pain, catheter pain or, now, heel pain.  This is a question I will have to ask the doctor.  I know his emotions are unpredictable, he can fly into a rage in a matter of seconds or, become very tearful just as quickly.  I have also noticed that he is much more sensitive to heat, especially in food and drink.  The normal temperature of a meal is just far too hot for him and a cup of tea can cause him distress if it is too hot, annoyingly if food or drink is too hot then he can't just blow on it to cool it - I don't know why, but he can't. He just gets angry with me as if I am doing it deliberately to upset him.  
Also, he seems to get quite hot around the house, even though I don't find it too warm.  These are things I have noticed (apart from the emotion thing) in the last couple of months - but that may be because he has had more things to cause pain than he did before so it is more noticeable.  But this causes problems as I can't really assess the true level of pain he is feeling.
So on we go, most days exactly the same as the one before!  We do have the television on nearly all day if Pete is up and he takes a bit of interest, more than he did a couple of weeks ago anyway.  At the moment Glastonbury is being televised a lot and he is interested in that today and looking forward to watching The Rolling Stones later on tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment