Thursday 13 March 2014

Almost there - but not quite!

Pete is almost back to normal now, but not quite.  
On Sunday Pete had to make a very determined effort to help himself as my back decided to register its disapproval of what I was doing!!  I ended up on full quota of painkillers aswell as Pete!  Anyway, during the day he managed to sit himself up and also pull himself up the bed.  By Monday he was able to get out of bed ok, sit up ok, pull himself up the bed, transfer from bed/wheelchair etc.  The only thing he still couldn't do, and still can't today, is get his right leg off the floor enough to get his trousers on so I have to help with that which is fine.  The other thing is that he still can't walk much and is still insisting on using the wheelchair to get from room to room.  No doubt this will improve with a little bit of a push each day.  
I have been in a very bad place for the last couple of days - it just sometimes seems such a battle to just get through each day, and what the future holds is anyone's guess.  Unfortunately I can't seem to foresee anything improving much.  It is hard to believe that this time last year Pete was doing so well that I was preparing to return to work.  It is now about 20 months since the stroke and things went really well for about 10 months but then the following 10 months have just been absolute hell for both of us. 
I am trying very hard to get my head together again and move on and it seems ridiculous to be feeling so low when Pete is getting better, but that just seems to be the way I feel.  The future really scares me at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Sydney. I will send a comment tonight. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, looking forward to hearing any comments you may have. Shirley

      Delete