Tuesday 4 March 2014

And Again

And again Pete has a raging urine infection.  On Friday and Saturday he wasn't himself and lay on the bed for most of the time although he did get up, get washed and dressed and came into the sitting room for meals and to watch tv.  On Sunday morning though he couldn't even sit up by himself, never mind get up.  He seemed very weak and I literally had to pull him into a sitting position by getting my arms under his armpits, and hauling him up the bed, not easy when it is 9 stone of dead weight.  He then tended to lean to the right and had to be pulled upright.  But then he got hotter and after finding he had a very high temperature I rang the out of hours service for advice.  They said he had an infection and prescribed antibiotics which we started straight away.  On Monday he seemed no better apart from his temperature had gone down and he still needed to be pushed and pulled up the bed.  His urine is very very dark.  I told him to drink lots of water to flush it all through - which he did, and the colour got lighter, but this morning it is back to how it was.  He still can't sit himself up or move up the bed so I have had to put two large cushions behind him to prop him up as I physically can't do it any more - my arms feel like they have been pulled out of their sockets!! 
We are on the third day of antibiotics so I am hoping there will be a bit of improvement soon, but if not then I will have to ring his GP.  
He has now been in bed for 3 days which is worrying in itself.  He can't sit himself up, move on his own or stand up so I am very concerned.  But, and this is the thing, at what point do I call a doctor? I hate being here on my own with him and not having anyone to discuss it with and get their opinion on what I should do.  Sounds pathetic doesn't it that I can't make decisions on my own. Is it all part of the infection or is there some other reason his right side seems to have seized up?  
I am just spending the days drinking coffee/tea, smoking and worrying.  
The outlook doesn't seem good at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment