Thursday 27 February 2014

Meetings for Carers

We had the final meeting of carers last night.  As I have said before, we find great solace at these meetings and I have also said I would like them to continue.  Well, they are going to!!! Yessss!   The two ladies who have been running it did suggest we could continue on our own, informally, and we agreed we would like to.  I know I am repeating myself, but just to be able to talk honestly is the best feeling, and to find others feel the same is a great relief.  Although it doesn't absolve our feelings of guilt, etc at how we feel - we all feel the same and we are allowed to have these feelings.
Anyway, we are going to meet up monthly and the first get together will be on 21st March.  There will be no formality about it, no set agendas etc. just some carers having a chat.  Rebecca and Bev are going to pass the word around and, hopefully, some other carers of people with aphasia will join us.  I know if there had been anything like this several months ago I would have been there like a shot.  Just to meet others struggling like me. 
I don't know the people who read my blog but if, like us, you care for someone with aphasia, or know anyone who does, and can get to Barnstaple, then please get in touch and we will welcome you with open arms.  Anyone who is interested can email me at shirleypdutt@gmail.com or contact me on Twitter @ShirleyDutt  and I will gladly give you details.  There must be more than the 3 or 4 of us that have been at the Wednesday meetings.  Now that we have got this organised there is no need for people to struggle on their own like we all have been doing.  I really hope more people can come.  The meetings will be in the evenings.
Meanwhile, things continue here as before.  We are actually making progress with the writing and speech that we are doing.  Pete can now write several family names with only a few hiccups on the way, just the odd letter here and there are still problematical.  Illogically, it is not often the same letter each time.  But a few months ago Pete couldn't write any names on his own (other than his own name which he has always been able to write). We also do a few other 2, 3 or 4 letter words and they are all improving.  So, although it is sometimes a bit of a tedious chore, it is well worth it.  Speech is another matter though in that we have been unable to incorporate any new sounds, but every day we go through all the sounds and words he can say - the day he actually then uses them will be amazing.  He has, once, called for me by my name but has not done it again.  But I think this shows we are, slowly, getting a few connections in his brain.  It can only get better! 
One tiny step at a time is indeed what is happening.  
I will just reiterate that PLEASE, if you care for someone with aphasia and are struggling with the life cards you have been dealt, GET IN TOUCH.  We can all help each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment