Tuesday 25 March 2014

Support

Support is so very important.  Anyone in our situation needs support of all different kinds - and I think, at last, I have got it all covered now as far as I am concerned.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Pete - but the question is, what support does he need?  Ideally, he needs the support of someone the same as he is, but that wouldn't work as he can't communicate his feelings or thoughts and someone who is the same wouldn't be able to either!  I think he should have continued with his psychology sessions but he always told her he was fine so they stopped.  He is always so terribly sad - and who can blame him.  I know I keep saying it, but I do now think he needs a higher dose of antidepressants, but he says no.  So we still go on in limbo as far as he is concerned.
My support network is now complete - it took a long time but there you go.  Of course we both have the support of our family who are always there for us and they are vitally important to us.  I also have the Lovely Ladies who I go out for a meal and drink with every couple of months and they also come round individually to see me and keep me up to date with what is going on in the world, and I can relax and have a good gossip and laugh with them - again important.  Finally, I now have other carers to talk to.  Last Friday was the first informal meeting we had and, unfortunately, only two of us were able to be there but, no worries, we had a really good chat and talk and, indeed, talked about a couple of subjects that had not been mentioned in the previous meetings with professionals.  I came home feeling uplifted again and able to go on again.  We haven't made a definite date for our next meeting but agreed we would text each other when we felt we needed to talk and we would meet up.  I have been thinking about it and I think we perhaps should make a definite date as then if anyone else wants to join us they can and they will know where to be and when.  But, just knowing I can ring someone at any time is a good.  There must be so many people out there who need to talk but know no-one in the same situation.  So, carers for people with aphasia ..... Get in touch! 
I will finish as I started, support is so very, very, very important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment