Monday 9 December 2013

Depression

Depression is setting in I fear!  Over the weekend I have felt quite low and today have been wondering what the end of all this will be.  I just can't get a grip on the situation and keep wanting to cry (as if that would help) - even whilst rushing round town doing the shopping!  
One reason is that if I say something Pete doesn't agree with then he gets into a rage and won't listen to me or what I am trying to say, just shouts loudly.  So it seems what I think doesn't matter any more.
This isn't conducive to a good atmosphere.  I have basically learned over the last few days just to keep my mouth shut and go along with what he wants.
Tomorrow someone is coming to put tiles down on the bathroom floor following the flood several weeks ago.  This is going to be a very difficult day as, apparently, once they are down no-one can walk on them for several hours - Pete doesn't agree with this!  I foresee several arguments and they will be witnessed by a stranger.  I am very unsure about how we are going to manage at all.  If I had known this was going to be the situation I would have asked for a bit of Lino to be slapped down.
WW has been in action a couple of times over the weekend - one instance, the bulb went in the light in the hall and it spat out the glass bit and retained the metal bit, impossible to get out so had to get someone in.  There is usually no problem in changing a bulb, but not in this house!!  It becomes a major operation. 
I did email an Aphasia Research Group in London to get their ideas on how we can go forward.  Unfortunately they have not really proved any help - just saying exercises every day can help.  So no further forward on that front.  I also asked if they knew how common Pete's level of aphasia is, but they didn't answer that question, just general statistics on how many people have aphasia.
The representative from the local branch of The Stroke Association rang me to say they are setting up meetings for people with aphasia and their partners.  These meetings will take place once a week for six weeks, starting in the new year.  I asked who was running them and it is her and our old speech therapist.  This has immediately put me off but I'm wondering whether I might be cutting off my nose to spite my face.  Pete doesn't seem keen but it was suggested to me that I go to the first one on my own to see exactly what their purpose is and this may be a good idea.  The Stroke Association lady said she would send me information on the meetings - but nothing has arrived so far.  I don't know how to proceed on this one.  If the other people there have some speech or can write notes then this isn't going to help Pete and will just make him even more aware of how isolated he is and there will be no-one to tell me how they manage.  
One last thing, today the surgery rang and asked to speak to Mr. Dutt.  I said he has aphasia and could I help?  Oh no, they had to speak to him as it is confidential.  Very abruptly I told them to look at his notes and they would see they could speak to me - after a pause, back they came to say "oh yes", no apology or anything for not checking notes before ringing.  Do they do it to wind me up? It certainly feels like it. 
Off to have a good cry now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment