Wednesday 3 April 2013

Back on Track

Pete is now back to normal thank goodness. Most of the pain has gone, just a bit of a niggle in his left hip at times, but not enough to warrant pain killers. He hasn't had any pain relief now for two days. I have spoken to Claire (physio) and explained what has been happening. She was not booked to come this week as Suzanne is on leave and they are really busy as they are a day short, (and we do exercises anyway) but she had had a message from Pathfinder to give me a ring. We agreed that it is best to just leave the exercises this week and concentrate on just walking about as much as possible, this will let his muscles recover. I said there was no need to visit but she said ring her if I want her or have any concerns - they are a brilliant team, always so helpful. We are so lucky to live in this area with this service and staff.
I went to work yesterday and today and don't foresee having to have any more time off, my employers were very good and totally understood I couldn't leave Pete at the weekend. He has been fine on his own, listening to music (Martin has given him the new David Bowie CD - excellent) and just pottering around I think. I haven't had to come home on my break. Today though he did have an unexpected visit from a speech therapist (not Bev) which I think caught him on the hop! He said he had been dozing when she arrived!! She has been a couple of times before so at least he knew her.
We are continuing to have beautiful sunny days but, boy, is it cold! This has meant Pete hasn't been outside for walks as it is so cold and he can't move too fast so we are hoping it will warm up next week and he can get out again. You begin to go stir crazy when you can't get outside!
Well, that's it for today, another month gone - can hardly believe it has been nearly nine months now since Pete had the stroke! He has done so well physically but we still battle with the aphasia which is a struggle. However we go on with hope and dream of the days when it will be improved - there is a short poem by Langston Hughes which epitomises this:
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams go
Life is a barren field
Covered in snow.

And I leave you with that thought ...

No comments:

Post a Comment