Tuesday 9 April 2013

Vista, Falling and Hospital Appointment.

Yesterday Pete went to Vista Class in the gym and I told them about the problems he had had with his right leg. They seem to agree it is purely muscular, nothing underlying. They did some stretches and massaged the calf muscles and he went on the exercise bike. They didn't think his muscles felt too tight and thought the pain was probably caused by the way he walks, which we can't do much about. At the moment he won't wear the ankle brace or the FES and I don't know why not, so don't know whether these would help or not.
In the late afternoon Pete went looking for a cushion (at least I think that is what he was doing) and ended up flat on his back! I was alerted by the sound of a loud thud! Sometimes he over-estimates what he can do and over-balances. Not helpful! He did manage to get himself up with only minimum help from me and doesn't seem to have suffered any after effects thank goodness.
Wendy went home yesterday afternoon and in the evening I did feel a bit lonely, it's amazing the difference just having someone else about makes - I don't feel on my own quite so much. But I am fine again today.
This morning it was a hospital appointment again in our favourite clinic! Haematology! This was because at the last one about 3 weeks ago we waited a very long time and didn't actually see the doctor as we had to leave. Anyway, today the appointment was for 9.50am and we went in at 10.15am, so a bit of improvement in the waiting time, but not brilliant. Why do hospitals think patients have all the time in the world to sit and wait for them - it seems to me that they know how the clinics run and should arrange their appointments accordingly. End of rant!! The result of the appointment was that Pete has to have another venesection (a pint of blood taken off) in 2 weeks, then one in May and one in June, then another appointment in the Haematology Clinic in July - so that's something to look forward to!!! I tried to get a first appointment but they were all booked - I wonder why?!?! One good point this morning was that the Consultant did seem to have actually read Pete's notes and seemed aware of the aphasia, as he addressed both of us and when a question needing more than a yes or no was asked, he looked to me to answer, but left it to Pete to give the yes or no replies - brilliant, this was a first. And this was without me saying about the aphasia first.
After getting home, I threw a cup of tea down my throat and then had to dash into town. On my return there was Pete entertaining his lady friend!!! Jane, from Connect, had arrived to see him again. He hadn't been able to tell me she was coming and she had been unable to write it in the diary as she has reading and writing problems herself! She said she will be coming every two weeks so I shall have to try and remember that!
So, a busy couple of days - nothing booked for tomorrow (other than work) so should be a bit more relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment