Sunday 28 April 2013

Going Nowhere but Backwards

Pete is still very miserable because of this infection which has not cleared despite antibiotics. He went to bed this afternoon, got up about 4.45, but has gone off to bed again tonight - at about 7.00pm. Although he did up his liquid intake for the first few days, yesterday and today it has slumped right back again. I am going to have to go to the surgery again tomorrow with a urine sample and see if it shows up anything - the Devon drs told me this is what I have to do. I so wish Pete could just make an appointment and drive himself to the dr. and get treated. I can't really establish what he is feeling etc as his communication has slipped backwards and he just gets angry when I keep going over it - if only he could tell me his exact symptoms etc., as it is we are blundering along in the dark. It is now so difficult to get him to a dr for an appointment or anything. So I will spend tomorrow trying to do something to help him - I sometimes get the feeling he thinks I am deliberately being obstructive, I think he thinks I should rush him off to A&E. His sense of reasoning has all gone to hell. He doesn't see how much everyone has to rearrange plans just to sort him out.
As the title of this post says - we are going nowhere but backwards at the moment. His communication is shot and he won't do anything to try and improve it. Also he won't do any exercises or walking - and his walking is really bad at the moment, his leg seems really weak and he is walking on the side of his foot rather than put it down flat, but if I point this out then he just ignores me. I think we have regressed by about at least 3/4 months now. Someone asked me yesterday if I thought he would ever get his speech back or be able to write - my honest answer is no I don't. He definitely won't if he doesn't start and make a big effort.
Yesterday Martin and I (Pete wouldn't come) looked at some cars to try and get this motability thing started - we can't have a Honda Jazz as the nearest dealer is in Plymouth. Whilst I was talking to Pete (before we went out) trying to get him to understand there was no chance of a Jazz he got his notebook out and wrote F and C, there was no way I could guess what he wanted to say (bearing in mind we were talking about cars), full scale rage erupted with full on shaking etc., so I left him to get over it. I came back a few minutes later - still not guessing what it was about, then about 15 minutes later I established he wanted Martin to get something for him - eventually turned out to be fish and chips for tea!!!!! What that had to do with looking at cars I have no idea and why he thought I should understand what he meant straight away defeats me! I can laugh about it now but was furious at the time!! This is an example of how his concentration goes at the moment and how he expects me to understand what he wants with no further clues. I asked him for another clue and just got the F and C again - he isn't able to give any visual clues either. Extreme frustration on both sides!!!
I will have to cancel Vista Class tomorrow so won't have my one and a half hours a week 'me time' - still, that's life I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment