Sunday 20 October 2013

Not Good News

Firstly, I am pleased to say Pete is still taking the antidepressants!  He isn't jumping around laughing and singing yet but hasn't been so bad tempered these last couple of days! πŸ˜ƒ  (I have just managed to get these little icons on my keyboard and am becoming obsessed with them, so expect to see quite a few from now on!!!!).  I also think they are at last beginning to help with his appetite as on Friday he requested a pie, chips and carrots for tea - a decent meal, the first for weeks.  He is also eating more cake and chocolate - long may it last as he is due a weight check this week.  And flu injection is also on the agenda!
Unfortunately, he is unable to wave goodbye to the catheter πŸ˜ͺ.  This was determined at the Urodynamics appointment on Thursday.  We were there for 3 hours and the staff were really nice and let me stay with him the whole time.  Firstly they put some liquid in his bladder through the catheter as it, obviously, was empty.  Then they removed the catheter and inserted some pressure measuring catheter, left it a while for his bladder to refill a bit naturally.  Anyway the pressure was measured regularly and also scans were done regularly.  Eventually he had to do what comes naturally (all dignity goes out the window with these investigations!!) and scans etc. done, left him another half hour and then did it again, and the final verdict was that his bladder did not have enough 'squeeze' to empty completely and he was retaining too much urine.  Therefore, the catheter has to remain in situ.  I was told the catheter removal trial due tomorrow would be a waste of time and advised to cancel it, which I did.  They will report to the consultant now who will, hopefully, send an appointment when alternatives can be discussed.  They also confirmed Pete's prostrate is fine and dandy.  I have been quite amazed at how well Pete has taken this news as both of us were hoping to see the back of it, but he has been fine and no anger outbursts or anything.
Pete has not complained of pain either the last couple of days - I did expect some complaints after catheters in and out, but it's all been ok.
Last night I was out with the Lovely Ladies again - it's only been two weeks since we last met but we had lots to catch up on as one of them had a daughter get married last week and also there has been much unrest at work, so lots of criticisms and gossip about that!!  We had something nice to eat and a couple of drinks πŸŽ‰ and a really good laugh.  I don't think I could keep going without these breaks and appreciate true friends so much - and, believe me, these three ladies are all something special.
On Tuesday Pete has an appointment with the Stroke Consultant in the morning and then it is Botox again late afternoon.  The Botox doesn't work as well as it used to, but does release his muscles a little bit.
And so, on we go again.  I have decided that, from now on, I will sign off with a little bee icon - this is because I have a bee tattoo on my right wrist which I love! Please excuse my madness!  πŸ

No comments:

Post a Comment