Saturday 26 October 2013

Putting on weight

The District Nurse arrived on Thursday to do Pete's weight check and he is up to 9st 8lbs - wow, that is brilliant as he did go down to 9stone, so now he has to keep up the good work and keep putting it on.  She did say his BMI is probably low and a dietician may want to give advice, but I said its no good trying to tell him what he should eat - he knows that - if he doesn't want to eat it, he won't!!  She said full-fat milk, butter, cream, cheese, cakes, chocolate and lots of snacks.  These boxes are just about all ticked anyway.  She also brought with her the flu injections - one for Pete and one for me!  She said they do partners aswell so that saves me a trip to the surgery.  We have had no after effects so, a good job done.
She asked about the catheter so updated her on the situation and she explained they may change to a flip-flow which would help the bladder tone - instead of a continual flow it lets the bladder fill and then you empty it when you feel the urge!!  So, a bit of hope there that Pete may get rid of the catheter eventually. We will have to wait and see.
Unfortunately, Candy had to cancel her psychology session as she was ill, but will ring her on Monday to see if she is back and make another appointment. 
We continue to do about a half-hour a day on letters and sounds, the letters may be improving slightly and today I also asked Pete for the first letter and then do a drawing (eg first letter of tree and then draw a tree), I am hoping this will make it a bit more interesting and also encourage him to draw a picture as a clue - it went quite well actually.  I need to vary things as otherwise it just gets to be a tedious chore.  The sounds still remain a problem although I have got him to try and put a few of the sounds together - only two at a time, eg 'muh' and 'i' to make my, 'luh' and 'i' to make lie, and 'wuh' and 'i' to make why, this is coming on but I don't know that he will use them as words even though I am saying they are words and when to use them, he just seems confused at that point!  Still we will bash away at it.
Well, tonight the clocks go back and a horrendous storm is forecast for tomorrow night - winter has arrived!!  I don't like the short dark days.  I am feeling a bit down at the moment just at the thought of it and also because we don't seem to be getting anywhere.  Hopefully this will pass soon, I try not to let Pete know how I feel as then he gets down aswell.  
I will do a blog all about me soon and the whole gamut of feelings that I experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment