Saturday 2 November 2013

Success!!

I said on my last blog that I had tried to register on some aphasia forums without success.  Well .....Adrian to the rescue!!  I still don't know what I was doing wrong but Adrian has registered me on two forums called TalkStroke and Speakability.  The TalkStroke forum is a very active one and last evening I put up a request for any tips to help us with Pete's aphasia, and I got a reply quite quickly.  A lady who knows what it is like (although her situation has now improved) gave me a couple of links which may be of help.  There does actually seem to be quite a lot of research going on into aphasia and it may be worthwhile to get involved in some of these projects, or at least find out about them.  She did say that she believes hard work will be rewarded eventually, so we hope this turns out to be true and will continue with our exercises.  We are currently working on trying to get the 'buh' sound but without success yet.  She also said that she had invested in Sky Sports in the hope her husband would get excited and shout at the referee! It didn't happen!  When Pete gets into a rage and starts making loud noises etc I have often wished a word would spontaneously pop out - even the worst swear word would be a delight!!! I have also put up a comment on the speakability forum but this one is not so active so I'm not ever so hopeful.  But it is still good to get involved.
Pete has still not cheered up at all which is quite depressing - I may ring the doctor next week and see about increasing the antidepressants as he is on a low dose.  I haven't mentioned this to Pete so don't know what his reaction would be.  I don't think he realises how grumpy and down he is at the moment.
The only other event of note is that we have got the appointment to see the Urologist on 19th December, so not too long to wait.
I must think of a way to finish each blog - it is always difficult trying not to finish abruptly.  I think I may adopt the phrase Onward and Upward to finish, in the hope that it becomes true at some point.
So, onwards and upwards!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment