Monday 25 February 2013

In the Gym

Today was Pete's first session with the Vista Class which is held in the gym in the hospital. I think he was quite nervous about it, and this wasn't helped by the fact that his leg has been playing him up. The class meets every Monday for 12 weeks and lasts one and a half hours. Pete had to go half an hour early today in order for the physiotherapists to assess him. They asked that I stayed for this as I could tell them things Pete couldn't. After explaining all that he can and can't do, we got onto what goals he has. The main ones are to walk a distance, perhaps without a stick eventually, to be able to do some gardening and to be able to do everything in the kitchen. The kitchen side of it is almost sorted, the main problems being actually cooking and transferring food from the pans to the plate. They didn't seem to think anything was out of the question. They will take him up stairs as well as this is something we haven't done as we haven't got any!!!! They will also do arm exercises to keep the tone in it. I left at 10.30am and had to go back at 12 when they finish. They do exercises etc. for an hour and then have a cup of tea and a talk by someone. It is very difficult to know what Pete did, all I can be sure of is that he was on the exercise bike at some point. I don't really know what he thinks about it, not overly enthusiastic though!!! I don't think he is raring to go again - but this is not optional, so attend he will!!! I was looking forward to having time to myself but this didn't really happen! On my way out I met one of the girls I work with so had to stop and have a chat (!!!), then when I got home I had to prepare everything for a casserole as Pete had got it all out and wanted it ready for him to put in the dish and mix etc. when he got back. So, I only had about half an hour to myself, but I did make the most of it! When he is with therapists it is the only time I don't think about where he is or what he is doing or worry that he is ok.
We have also done the exercises this afternoon and Pete has done a fair amount of just walking about which is exercise he has to do. I didn't think he would want to do anything today having done so much this morning, but he was all for it. He hasn't moaned about his leg this afternoon or evening so I am wondering if it was paining him because we hadn't done exercises and all the muscles were tightening. Anyway, he hasn't mentioned it so I won't!!
This afternoon Jane from Connect rang and she is coming tomorrow to visit Pete, just a social informal visit. I'm not sure whether she wants me there - probably not! But will ask her tomorrow.
It may have been a couple of degrees warmer today, but still chilly. I have noticed the odd daffodil in flower in the hedges so am hopeful more may be out by 1st March!
And that is it for today - I'm sure there was something else to write about but can't think what it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment