Saturday 23 February 2013

New Therapy!

Pete has still been a bit down - mostly I think because of his arm, last night he seemed to be very upset with it, maybe because it was very tight and getting in the way. It must be very depressing to know that he will never get movement back. We went out shopping on Thursday night and this always cheers him up, being out doing normal stuff.
He is also having problems with his right leg/ankle, not sure which or whether it is both. I have tried to find out what it is but can only get that it aches. He has not used the FES for a few days and has been wearing the ankle brace, so whether it is that I don't know. Yesterday and today he has used nothing and been wearing slippers instead of shoes, so obviously it has become quite uncomfortable. There is no swelling or redness so at least I know there isn't an infection. We will just see how it goes and hope it gets better over a couple of days as his foot really does need the help to lift it.
Back to exercises yesterday and today and I was surprised at how well they went, not having done any for nearly a week. I have also had a phone call that Pete can start at the Vista Group in the hospital on Monday. This is held in the gym and is physiotherapy for stroke survivors. It is usually held for one and a half hours every Monday and lasts 12 weeks. This is another reason why we had to get exercises going again! I am not sure exactly what goes on in the gym, but I do know exercise bikes may be involved!
Also yesterday my sister, Wendy, came up again for the day. We both enjoy her visits so much. Mind you, having said that, Pete fell asleep for a while after lunch! She brought some late Xmas presents up from her son, Mathew, who lives in Switzerland. One of Pete's was a jigsaw puzzle, which apparently is standard therapy in Switzerland and Europe. It promotes thinking things through as well as hand to eye co-ordination. It has 48 pieces and I wasn't sure Pete would be able to do it, but he did. It took an hour but he did it with no help at all from me, all I did was open the packet of pieces for him. I felt quite proud of him and he was pleased himself. It had to be left for Martin to see today. This morning we had to find some of the puzzles we have had for the kids and found a box of 10 puzzles with different numbers of pieces. He had no problems at all with the 2 that had twelve pieces each, nor the 2 with twenty four pieces each, and the next one to tackle is one with 40 pieces. They are quite difficult with a lot of sky and greenery in them, along with wild animals. This is brilliant therapy for Pete as it really absorbs him and he has something to be pleased with at the end. It should be standard therapy in this country!!
So when I next go to town I will have to look around and get some more.
The weather has been bitterly cold the last few days so we haven't been out walking around much. Hopefully it will warm up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment