Wednesday 24 October 2012

First Brick out of the Wall

Alright, so it is not the most artistic picture in the world, but to me this drawing of a washing machine is worth more than any Picasso!! This morning in his session with Bev (speech therapist) they were doing drawing and copying and then Bev asked Pete if he could draw a knife and fork - and he did!! She hadn't drawn them for him to copy so my flabber was well and truly gasted!! Then he was asked to draw a washing machine and this was the result, all knobs and switches included. This is a major breakthrough as the aphasia has prevented this happening until today. I feel on top of the world and Pete is fairly pleased with himself too! This afternoon I asked him to draw a few random objects (candle, walking stick, banana and apple) and he succeeded with each one. This is so going to help our communication - I know he can't just draw anything and a couple of things he couldn't do, but it is a fantastic start. It is definitely the first brick out of that wall that has been blocking channels in his brain. Hopefully they will continue to fall, even if it is only slowly.
This afternoon we took Pete for his flu jab which he was NOT pleased about but, on the other hand, could not tell me any reason why he shouldn't have it! (there are some advantages to his not being able to speak and argue!!!)There do not appear to be any after effects although if I ask him if his arm hurts, he assures me it does then bursts out laughing!
There hasn't been any physio today as I had to cancel the session as it was going to clash with the flu jab, but no worries, he is okay.
I can't believe Pete has been home for 6 weeks now, the days just whizz by. Still on a roll - hope it keeps up.

No comments:

Post a Comment