Saturday 13 October 2012

Today has been good. We got up a bit later than usual as no therapy at weekends, nice to have a lie in. We did a lot of walking with the stick, then moved on to exercises to strengthen right leg also the regulation arm exercises! Pete can walk unaided with the stick but is not allowed to do it on his own yet, I have to be here walking with him, hovering ready to gently nudge him upright again should he show signs of toppling over!!
We had another visit to the dentist for a check up (he also had another tooth out) and when I was pushing the wheelchair I suddenly wondered what Pete was thinking. How does he feel about not being able to get anywhere without a wheelchair? How does he feel when he sees people walking past us or children running? What do people think when they see us? Do people care? Will he ever be able to drive again? So many thoughts and feelings must be whirling around in his head and I can't remedy any of them as he can't tell me his thoughts. I desperately wish at times that we could turn the clock back, but of course we can't. We have to try to think of all the positives (and actually there are many) and move on as best we can. My big positive thought is that at least he is still here with me, he still retains the same level of intelligence and is still the same person - my soulmate. He's a bit battered and bruised, but actually it's not the end of the world. There are many people worse off than us and we are grateful for what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment