Monday 8 October 2012

Well, we have had a bad/good weekend! Unfortunately toothache reared it's ugly head for Pete on Friday. We managed to get an emergency appointment for Saturday afternoon - after having to ensure the dentist had wheelchair access. Something I have obviously never had to consider before! Anyway the dentist was fantastic and even treated Pete in his wheelchair, so no struggling to get into dentist chair.  Then Sunday was his birthday (62) and Martin took us out in the car for a drive and then in the evening Adrian did FaceTime with us, so had a really good day. My sister sent him an iPad beanbag which is the best invention! It has also doubled as support for his right arm, so she is going to make another one for him (and one for me!!!).
We got the ramp but it is quite steep and also still leaves a lip of about 1/2 inch to get over and I am finding this impossible on my own as can't lift the wheelchair over it, it's ok if someone helps but really no further forward. However, a catalogue inside the paper on Saturday had what is called a half step which halves the height of the step and looks ideal - have sent away for one and also looking at having grab rails put either side of the door. Will this solve the problem? I hope so and am keeping my fingers crossed.
Busy day again today - speech therapy, physiotherapy and also District Nurse to take blood for a blood test!
An example of our communication problem - Pete managed to indicate there was something wrong with his mouth by keeping on opening it wide, I made suggestions but to no avail. Then he got a towel and wiped his face, to me this meant he was hot - but no, and he is getting more and more frustrated with me. Had to give it up. Then he got a drink of water - answer, dry mouth!!!  How stupid am I for not getting that the towel meant dry!! Obvious really!  And good thinking on his part, shame about my side of it! The delight on his face when I eventually realised was a joy to behold!!
Well, another day done and, on the whole, a GOOD day, one of many I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment