Wednesday 19 December 2012

Aphasia Problems Again

Although there is not much to say about today, the main problem has been communication again.
We have had about 4 episodes of question time! If I can't understand what Pete wants to say he tends to get quite upset now. I think this is because he feels he is a bit of a failure in not being able to give me clues. We have got an understanding that if he wants to know if I am going out to town then he looks at a particular clock, and then if I am going out I can tell him what buses I am going to catch, so that one works ok. This morning he got his wallet and got a £20 note out - I guessed he wanted to buy something, questions and answers followed and I established what he wanted me to buy - this took about half an hour. Then he kept holding up the £20 and tapping his leg - I couldn't make the connection at all but he kept on doing it, hold up the note then tap his leg, what the Hell was it? Just about to give up when he did it again but tapped his leg slower, 4 times. I don't know what made me count how many times he did it but it suddenly came to me he wanted me to spend more than £20 - tap 4 times again, and I GOT it!! Spend up to £100 - the original 20 plus 4 more. It must have been so obvious to him what he was trying to say and so frustrating that nothing I suggested was right. This is what our conversations are like all the time. Sometimes he just looks in the general direction of what he wants to talk about or what he wants if that is appropriate but he still doesn't point to things, he doesn't seem able to make the connection. Gesturing is still difficult.
We have been out shopping tonight which Pete really enjoys. Only to the Lidl supermarket because that is always quiet and has really wide aisles which makes a big difference.
Susie came for physio this afternoon but, for some reason, I think he was a little bit more tired than usual so, although it wasn't too bad, it wasn't as good as normal, but plenty of exercises were done, just not as many of each one.
It has been wet and windy today and the heavy rain is coming back tonight. This doesn't usually affect us but my sister is planning on coming up for the day on Friday and she comes by train, so if we have too much rain it may wash some parts of the rail track away (as it did a couple of weeks ago) and scupper her plans - so fingers crossed we don't have too much.
Speech and language therapy tomorrow then I am off to town to meet Mel for coffee - looking forward to that - then back to do exercises and read a bit more of 'the book', which we haven't done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment