Thursday 13 December 2012

Gobsmacked!!!

We have read some more of the book about Edwyn Collins today and at the start of every chapter there are the pictures he taught himself to draw after his stroke. They are so good. Yesterday Pete had got the clay out to try to make something but it wasn't working that well and somehow, don't ask me how we got there, he managed to convey to me he wanted plasticine instead which is the medium he always worked in as it is more pliable. So, this morning, off I went, and purchased two packs of plasticine which made Pete smile broadly when he saw it. Then, to cut a long story short, I broke his phone and had to go back to town this afternoon for a new one. I was only gone for 40 minutes but when I got back he had started to make a model of a pony (photo today) and I was shocked when I saw it - amazingly brilliant! This was done starting with a lump of plasticine and only using his left hand, remember he was right handed before! If I didn't know that he had definitely been on his own I would have accused him of getting someone else to do it!! This is all thanks to the book showing him what can be done - never give up. He has been busy with it again tonight and has got all his tools of the trade out. I am so pleased as this is something he can be doing rather than the awful staring into space. He has also got the same attitude that he always had - never satisfied with his own work! I told him it is amazing and he is shaking his head 'no' !!!! I am so pleased for him, I love him so much and to see him doing what he loves is just - well, words can't describe how I feel.
The other photos today are of Ella in her school play. She is the angel on the left - doesn't she look beautiful, Mel also put a video for us to see and the inevitable tears flowed from Pete, and I don't think they were entirely caused by his heightened emotions!!
Adrian and Amie moved to a new flat on Tuesday and we did FaceTime with him tonight and he gave us a conducted tour! The marvels of modern technology are so mind blowing!
I am sorry to say we have done no exercises at all today with everything else going on! But we did read more of the book about Edwyn Collins and have now reached the point when he had his stroke, so it may be harder from now on but we will do it as it is spurring Pete on as nothing else has and it will help me too as it is his wife, his carer, who wrote it. We will read half an hour a day come what may!





No comments:

Post a Comment