Tuesday 11 December 2012

Tumbling Down -again!

After a fantastic day yesterday and really looking forward to today, I felt we were on a high again but today we are tumbling downwards - again!
The day started well enough with me going into town to get new shirts and a couple of other bits, and I planned to be back well before Bev came at 12. Unfortunately, I got held up in the Building Society - their cash machine broke down and they had to lock the doors before opening it up - nobody allowed in or out and unluckily I was inside so couldn't get out for a while. This meant I arrived home at the same time that Bev and Alison arrived. This seemed to be alright but I could sense Pete wasn't happy and I don't think the session went that well. After they had gone I asked if he was ok and he said yes, but he wasn't. He got his mobile phone and this seemed to be the problem - he kept randomly pressing keys which annoyed me (!!). I tried to get whether he wanted me to ring someone, text someone, take a photo, show him how to use it, all to no avail. So I got even more angry, and he got more upset - vicious circle. I told him there is nothing else to do with a phone, but as I am writing this I am wondering whether he was trying to say I should have rung him and told him I was going to be late - I don't know and am certainly not going to go back there. But I suppose I could have rung the landline and put a message on the answering phone for him to hear.
He helped me change the sheets on the bed after lunch and then, reluctantly, he agreed to do some exercises. We did a few but some he refused to do, so not much success there. Then a girl I work with popped over with her beautiful springer spaniel and she stayed a while which cheered him up a bit. But after she left he went quiet again.
This damn aphasia is such a problem, this is when I feel totally helpless - I get annoyed and frustrated but probably not as much as him.
The book I mentioned about Edwyn Collins arrived today and, flicking through it, it looks really good. I don't know whether I will be able to read it out to Pete though as it choked me up just reading the odd sentences. He tried to read a bit himself but I'm not sure how successful that was, will go back to it tomorrow. A few words I can really identify with are: 'Shouty McShoutington of Shoutytown puts in a regular appearance and Will (their son) and Edwyn can't bear it. I tell myself off, try to get it under control, but to no avail. You can't have everything and serenity eludes me I'm afraid' - snap!!
That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment