Thursday 20 December 2012

Words in his Head

We started badly today with another episode of confusion. It lasted about 30 to 40 minutes when Pete just seemed very puzzled. We awoke about 7 am and he went to the bathroom whilst I made a cup of tea and then we got back in bed. Pete started looking around the room and at his wheelchair with a questioning look and also sometimes listened intently to the news on the tv. He did answer me that he knew where he was, who he was and who I was, but once or twice he answered no to did he know why the wheelchair was there, but then answered yes he did. I established he had no pain and didn't feel sick but when I asked did he feel confused, I consistently got the answer yes. So worry worry time again. It is if he doesn't acknowledge me I will panic as that was the second indication I had that all was not well on the day of the stroke. He seemed to understand the news on the tv but really had to listen and concentrate. Then, after about 30 to 40 minutes, it was like a fog had lifted and he smiled and came back to normal. Now I don't know if this is alright or not, but I have no confidence in his GP who has never even bothered to check whether we have any problems or questions, but Mel suggested I ring the ward at Bideford hospital which I may do when Pete is having a snooze sometime as he doesn't like me making a fuss, it really angers him, so better he doesn't know!!
I had a really nice time with Mel and her Mum, we had a coffee and chat in town and I really value these times as I can be me again for a while, so thank you to you both. It is like a bit of respite time.
Speech therapy went well and today Bev tried him on sounds again. Then she wrote some names and let him look at them, then covered them up to see if he could write them (only one at a time). He was allowed a quick look if he couldn't remember the next letter, then it was covered up again and he had to write from memory. Ok, he could only do 2 letters at a time, but this is progress from straight copying. We will do this exercise again methinks.
Exercises this afternoon, then 'the book' and then I decided to ask him something I have wondered about a few times. If he wants to say something, can he say it to himself in his head? He said he can, just can't actually say them out loud. The same with words, he can see them in his head, just can't get his hand to write them. He can count, I know because when I say we will do this exercise 5, 10, 15, 20 times, he always stops after the requisite number, so I can't sneak extra ones in! He can tell the time and he can read and understand 2 or 3 sentences, but not much more. He looks at the tv magazine and if there is a programme he wants to see, he points it out to me.
I'm looking forward to seeing my sister tomorrow, hope she makes it despite all the rain. Of course the other thing is that the world ends tomorrow according to the Mayan calendar, so I may post tomorrow - or I may not!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment