Sunday 6 January 2013

And So to Bed!!

Last night was much, much better. We went to bed at our usual time, both of us being very tired, rather than stay up later. I was out like a light and Pete wasn't too far behind I think, we woke at 2 and had a cup of tea and then back to sleep until 7.30am, another cup of tea (!) and back to sleep again! Until 9.30am!! Pete's leg was still aching a bit, but he took 2 more paracetamol in bed and this helped.
This morning Pete chose not to put the ankle brace on and used nothing all morning when walking around. Then this afternoon he put it on again. His leg is still a bit painful but getting easier he says. I couldn't find anything on Google about the FES causing this sort of problem, only that, very rarely, it can increase spasticity - is that what this is? I'm not really sure. Anyway, decision made so we will see what Suzanne says tomorrow about it.
We have done letters and their sounds again, same procedure as yesterday. Repetition is the only way to get the information in his brain. We also did a bit of trying to make new sounds, but again the perseverance kicked in.
Exercises went much better, all of them done with the exception of bouncing the gym ball. I don't think Pete trusts me to do this one with him yet.
Pete is next to me at the moment and wants me to mention his arm - I think! It is getting very tight again now and he is ready for the next Botox injection, which is on 15th, so not too long to wait. His wrist is painful again when doing stretches and he doesn't let me do much at all although he does let Susie do quite a bit. His hand is also clawing up again. He doesn't wear the splint as much as he should but I can't force him.
We have read quite a bit more of 'the book' over the last few days, and although Edwyn is having physio 3 times a week, she doesn't say exactly what they do. But again, it sounds like it is a private Physiotherapist they go to see. She does mention that the physio recommended a gadget to help his walking, but doesn't say what it is so can only presume it is a FES, but she only mentions it once in passing so we don't really know. She talks about Edwyn having severe aphasia, but, from my point of view, I find it hard to believe that she actually understands how severe it can be, after all he does have speech. Not flowing speech admittedly, but speech all the same and he can get his thoughts and wants across. So, although the story is really interesting and they have had a hard time, I can't really compare it to our situation. They are obviously well off in that they employ private therapists, she installed and then removed a stair lift, but they also eat out very frequently and have friends and relatives around most of the time - so I don't think she knows that feeling of coping alone and struggling along on your own. But don't let that put anyone off reading it if you get the chance, it is still an inspiring account of his recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment