Friday 18 January 2013

No, Yes, No!

Well, the heavy snow forecast for Barnstaple turned out to be somewhat of a non-event!! We did have a shallow covering of snow but not much at all. Nothing on the trees, etc. I am sure there were many disappointed children's faces when the curtains were pulled back this morning. At least I didn't need my Wellies or information on the local radio - I knew that if I was prepared it wouldn't happen!! I went into town with no problems and got the long awaited sleeping tablets, now I am very nervous about Pete using them. He can take half or one tablet just before bed for no more than 4 days a week as they are addictive, and he doesn't seem too impressed with only half a tablet so I think he is going to insist on a whole one - stormy waters tonight then!!!
No FES today but plenty of exercises done. Pete is trying to make an extra effort to bend his right knee when walking in order to lift his foot higher and if he concentrates it works well. He definitely prefers the brace whatever he says to Suzanne.
We have been having some very confusing conversations in the past with Pete seemingly not really understanding my questions. The best way to explain it is to give 2 examples:
Me -" do you want sausages for tea?" Pete shakes his head "no", me- "you don't want sausages for tea?" Pete nods his head "yes", me- "you want sausages for tea?" Pete shakes his head "no", At which point I get confused.
Me- "is your arm aching?" Pete shakes his head "no", me- " your arm isn't aching?", Pete nods his head "yes", Me- "your arm is aching?" Pete shakes his head "no". Confusion again!! It has taken me all this time to realise when he nods his head "yes" he is agreeing with me, ie yes he doesn't want sausages and yes his arm isn't aching - he takes what I am saying literally which isn't the normal reply when using speech. Now I have cottoned on to this I realise that it is me that is confusing the issue and have also had to explain this confusion to Bev. I hope you understand what I am saying - Pete will listen carefully and give the actual correct response! It took a while for Bev to understand what I was explaining so I don't think this is very common. But now that we have got onto the same track it is much better.
I am really looking forward to tomorrow evening when it is out with the girls for a meal and a drink (or two) and a chat whilst Martin stays with Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment