Saturday 26 January 2013

Better

After yesterday being so bad, it has been slightly better today. I don't know why we were so angry with each other as, in actual fact, Pete did have a day when he made a bit of progress.
We had decided on Thursday that we would move the speakers (which didn't happen) and also steam clean the carpet in the living room. As usual this had been something Pete did and I didn't know how to work the machine! Pete insisted he knew and yes he did, but it was still hard trying to understand what instructions he was giving me. Anyway, once it was up and running I made a start but then Pete took over and he found it quite easy to use it, he just took a step at a time and, as his balance is quite good, he could manoeuvre it. So, next step is the Hoover!
This afternoon Pete came through with a hot water bottle which he had done himself! Since having the bottle on his foot at night I think he realises it is more comfortable to have his foot warm, so if he is going to sit for a while he puts his foot on it. I struggled all afternoon to think how he could possibly have filled a bottle from the kettle with only one hand - nigh on impossible I would have said. Eventually he took me into the kitchen and demonstrated!! He clamped the bottle between his stomach and the work top and then used his left hand to pour in the water. Yes, this could be a bit on the dodgy side, but he had worked out how to do it, so all credit to him. But he does need a steady hand!!!
Tonight we have had FaceTime with Adrian and Amie which has cheered Pete up no end, caught up on all the news.
Now, this next bit is probably not for the squeamish, but I have to tell you about it!!! Pete has had a bit of constipation and took a tablet for it today. Just now he went off and came back all smiles! He obviously wanted to tell me something but I couldn't get it (as usual) and asked if he could write the first letter to give me a clue - he wrote P (you know what's coming!) but I still wasn't understanding, and then he added oo - poo!!! Oh my God, his first actual word!! I am so pleased, it may be a long time before he writes another word, but as we are still struggling with writing the first letter this is amazing, a real breakthrough.
So a fantastic end to today, I hope tomorrow continues in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment