Tuesday 22 January 2013

What to Write!

What shall I write today then? I'll start with last night - Pete took his sleeping tablet at 9pm with the thought that by 10pm he would be ready to go to bed and straight to sleep. I told him that was too early and, sure enough, by 10 he could hardly get up off the sofa!!! I had to haul him up and then help him take a few steps then rush off and get the wheelchair to push him to the bedroom as he would never have got there on his own. Then after helping him get undressed and into bed he was asleep almost straight away. (this all reminded me of when he first came home and needed all this help - he has come so far since then.) I settled down to a good night but it was not to be! The light went on and off a couple of times and then on for ages at 2.30am so a cup of tea was back on the agenda. After that he did go straight back to sleep - this was all after taking a whole tablet so I'm not sure why it didn't work as usual. Anyway he has now had his 4 tablets for this week so I suppose that tonight we go back to hardly any sleep.
This morning I went off to catch the bus and walked through the hospital grounds - as I walked through I was trying to work out whether I could take Pete for a walk there on my own, but have decided the answer is probably not yet, hopefully in the near future it will be possible. Today has again been bitterly cold but also very damp and the ground is wet and slippery so couldn't go out today with him anyway. But, in the meantime, he is doing lots of walking in the house, round and round, but it all helps build up his stamina.
We have done full exercises, ending with step overs which he is getting very good at, sometimes leading with his right foot and sometimes with his left. I still remember the physios saying good foot first to go up (up to heaven, good) and bad foot first to go down (down to hell, bad) but now Pete seems to interchange his leading foot depending on where he is.
Tomorrow will be the first speech therapy session with just Pete and Bev, I am looking forward to this as will have a bit of time on my own. We will also have to make arrangements for getting to the meeting for people with aphasia next Tuesday. Then in the afternoon it is Suzanne and Claire again and, depending on the weather, maybe another adventure outside!
As I came past the garden today I noticed there are lots of daffodils coming through but have only managed to find one solitary snowdrop which is sad as usually there are quite a few, the rest must have been finished off by all the wet weather. But daffodils are a good sign of Spring being not too far away. Meanwhile, lots of snow warnings out but not for here - we are going to get rain!!! Again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment