Wednesday 23 January 2013

Sad.

It is nearly 8.30pm and Pete has gone to bed, and he seems very sad for some reason. He says he is very tired but will he sleep? Last night he, at last, let me put a warm hot water bottle on his right foot and he has got one again tonight. Even with thick thermal socks his foot is still icy cold but I think the warm bottle on it in bed will help him sleep. Last night he says he didn't sleep well, but conversely, every time I woke up (and that was at least every hour) he was sound asleep. Also he kept his arm splint on all night whereas it usually comes off after half an hour, so either he dreamt he was awake a lot or I dreamt I was awake a lot!! He didn't seem very happy first thing this morning either. These are times I feel so hopeless, I don't know what is the matter and he just keeps saying he is alright and I can't just keep on and on asking the same questions over and over so we get to stalemate where he says he is ok but I know he isn't. We did have quite a bit of snow - real snow - this morning and this grabbed his attention and he cheered up a bit for a while as the garden and trees got whiter and more beautiful. (two photos of our garden).
Bev managed to get here for speech therapy and I think that was alright, she seemed quite happy how it went with just the two of them. I entertained myself doing the ironing, changing the bed sheets and doing some hand washing, then I read my book for a while.
By the time Suzanne and Claire came this afternoon the snow was melting away, but still too slippery to go out and, of course, the ground was really wet. They did stretches on Pete's arm, but the Botox definitely hasn't worked as well this time as his wrist and hand are still tight and painful. Then they did bouncing etc on the gym ball and then step overs in the kitchen. Suzanne then talked about future challenges she is planning. More walking outside and also perhaps meet them in town and a walk around there with people, pushchairs, etc. Walking up and down the hill a bit, basically she wants him to walk rather than use the wheelchair when we are out. So probably next time we go to a supermarket he will have to walk around - could be time consuming!! When we can't go out they are going to do floor mobility! This is him getting down onto the floor and then getting up again, and also if he goes down somewhere where there isn't anything stable enough to pull himself up with then getting him to crawl or somehow get to something stable. I am pleased they are going to do this as it is a worry if he falls when I'm not here. All the routine leg exercises are going to be done with me in the future so they can concentrate on the new challenges.
Well, it is now nearly 9pm and Pete is up again and back in the sitting room!!
I hope he will be a bit more cheerful tomorrow as it is hard when he is sad, not being able to discuss why.




No comments:

Post a Comment