Wednesday 21 November 2012

Feeling Sad

Today I have felt very sad just to see how hard life is for Pete. I am not feeling really depressed or anything, just sad. He manages so well with things that you just do without thinking, like getting up and down or going to the bathroom or preparing meals. He has to make such an effort with everything. I was also a bit annoyed last night when I read an item saying about how to recognise a stroke when it happens and some Neurologist had said he can stop a lot of damage if he can treat the patient within the first three hours otherwise they are hopeless and helpless cases! NO, this is definitely not the case - there is NO WAY Pete is hopeless and helpless, far from it. Yes, there is an injection that can be given in the first three hours that will stop much of the damage, but if it wasn't a stroke then this injection can be very harmful. So they have to be absolutely certain of the diagnosis, and, as I have learnt, every stroke is different. Pete showed none of the classic symptoms and was a puzzle to the paramedics and the A&E dept, and was only diagnosed when all other possibilities were ruled out. Hence, he missed out on the injection, but hey, some you win some you lose. But it was the 'helpless, hopeless cases' phrase that really made me see red. All in all, from what I have heard, most stroke survivors go on to make remarkable progress even if they don't get back to how they were. OK, so now I have had my say this rant is over!!! I still feel sad to see his struggles though!
After saying yesterday that Pete doesn't sleep well, he took a stronger painkiller before bed last night and he slept really well, we didn't wake for a cup of tea until 6am!! Brilliant!! I don't want him to get reliant on these tablets but, on the other hand, nights are long when you can't sleep.
This morning we decided to make some rock cakes which are easy using the mixer. Pete measured out the ingredients with no problem and also operated the mixer fine, and as you don't have to put them into cake cases, just slap a spoonful on the baking tray, this went well and they are a treat after shop bought cakes. May try a fruit cake next! Mind you, I still don't like cooking (even our dog refused one of my cakes a few years ago!!) but when it is helping Pete's rehabilitation it is worth a go and as, so far, the results are edible we will carry on!
We have seen a bit of sunshine today but the forecast for tomorrow is horrendous and they are switching on the Christmas lights tomorrow evening so don't know how that will go. I think we will just stay at home all warm, dry and snug.

No comments:

Post a Comment