Sunday 11 November 2012

Sunday again!

It all started very well today although Pete didn't want to do any exercises which is starting to get to me as he needs to do them as it is 4 days since his last session but it is no good pressing the point as he just gets angry. It has been a lovely sunny day and quite warm in the sun so he decided to go outside, which is fine, but then he wanted to go up some steps to the greenhouse. I have always refused to let him go up them as the last time he did it was with 2 physios and he nearly went over a few times as there are no rails, but today he was determined and off he went. They are wide so there is plenty of room for his stick and he can go one at a time but as there are no grab rails it was slightly precarious! But, to my surprise, he went up and down with absolutely no problem so his balance must be improving a lot. The photos today are of him out in the sun and also the steps he negotiated.
Then it was time to prepare lunch which was a gammon joint which he has always roasted with honey and mustard - I didn't know where to start and he was trying get everything to do it together. Unfortunately I couldn't understand him and this triggered another of his angry episodes, stick banging and shaking full on. We did eventually get it done but it was a bit of a trial as I just wish he would have a bit of patience - he snaps within seconds without any thought about how to show me. Consequently things were a bit strained for a while and he didn't particularly enjoy eating it as I think I cut it too thickly - I can't get the hang of cutting meat properly never having done it. Then later, when I had to cut the rest of the joint up, we both ended up in tears as I didn't think I was doing it properly and he seemed to be feeling a bit sorry for me! Anyway, another Sunday that didn't go so well!
We have also had a lapse on the dyspraxia side of things in that he got a fork to eat a trifle with, didn't really work that well!!
I am sure Pete was saying 'no' but that seems to have gone now and also he didn't do so well today with mouth and tongue exercises, so I almost feel we are going backwards on the speech side of things. There is certainly no improvement - the speech therapists keep asking 'have any words popped out', the answer is always no, but I am not entirely sure how this works. One day will he suddenly say a word? Don't know.
So today I feel has been a backward step, I hope tomorrow is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment