Friday 23 November 2012

Good News and Bad News

Well, today we went to see the Consultant for the follow up appointment after discharge. Pete's blood pressure is fine, but needs to be checked every couple of months through the GP, so have made a note of that. The good news is that Pete is doing very very well physically with his mobility and what he can do, the consultant said that because of the severity of the stroke he was really pleased with his progress in this area. Also he was pleased that Pete has full comprehension of what is going on and what is being said to him, because of this we should be able to sort the communication problems one way or another, he said these will continue to improve for the next couple of years. Good news. He asked about moods and whether Pete ever got so depressed and frustrated that he wanted to end it all (!!??!!), luckily Pete replied with a laugh and shaking of his head. Good news. I mentioned the bouts of extreme anger (which are happening less often thank goodness) and he explained that control of emotions is usually difficult after a stroke, but, again, will improve. He didn't have an answer for sleep problems and the episodes of being hot were nothing to worry about. So far, so good. Then the bad news! Unfortunately, he doesn't think Pete's arm will get any movement back, certainly not enough to be able to use it. But we do continue with Botox as this will keep it loose and stop it from clamping and clawing up. I think we are both agreed that we can live with this, he just has to learn to do everything with his left hand, and I am sure he will. Final good news is that Pete is doing so well he doesn't want to see him again - but, on the other hand, he said he is always there if we want to see him. We just have to go to GP and ask to be referred back and there will be no problem.
Change of subject - driving!!!! Aaaagh!!!! When we got back Pete wanted to say something and eventually looked at all the words he had written out yesterday. Amongst them was the word 'scarf' but couldn't get anything from that, then he picked out 'teacher' , and I immediately thought learn to drive (driving teacher) and, yes, that was it!! We had had to drag Martin out of work for today's visit. I think 'scarf' was 'car'. So ..... First step, I had my photo done for the licence application! I will fill out the form over the weekend. I really have decided I have at least got to try to do it - really we need to win the lottery and employ a chauffeur!! But that's not ever so likely to happen so I must make the effort.
Final good news today, I have been awarded Carer's Allowance whilst I am not working. This is going to really help. I had expected to be turned down as I am still employed.
So, on the whole, lots more good news than bad, and we can cope with the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment