Monday 19 November 2012

Struggling.

Today seems to have been one long struggle from beginning to end, I'm not sure why and there seems to be no specific reason. When we got up everything Pete had to do took a lot of effort, washing, dressing etc. I know when he is finding it hard as he sighs a lot and just keeps saying yes to himself - but even so he wouldn't let me help him, still had to do it all himself. When Suzanne put him through all his exercises and arm stretching, etc. he managed alright and she really worked him hard this morning so I was pleased with that and thought he had got over whatever it was. But later, when Bev came for speech therapy, again he seemed to be finding everything so hard, even Bev noticed that it wasn't going as well as normal, and he was having great difficulty in getting his head nodding and shaking right. He just couldn't seem to make it work today. He has had a short snooze but not for very long so it doesn't seem that he is particularly tired. I am hoping it is just another down day. Our communication hasn't gone well, and even though he hasn't got angry, he has been very frustrated with trying to get something across. We did have some success in that I asked him to draw me a clue and he drew a book - and after about half an hour I understood which books he was talking about. Thinking about it now, this is so good, first time he has drawn me a clue.
We had a bit of a laugh at tea time as decided to cook some pies from the freezer, so off he went to get them and came back empty handed! I just said 'oh, that's ok, I'll get them' when, hey presto, he produced a pie from each pocket!!! He tried to peel a potato but that didn't work well, but will improve with practice - he was disappointed as had indicated he would do them today.
He seems a bit better tonight, not having to struggle so much.
More physio tomorrow and we will try to do a bit more of him giving me clues with the iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment