Wednesday 28 November 2012

Plateau

We seem to have reached a plateau where no progress is being made. In fact, it seems to be tilting slightly backwards - in some things Pete is slightly less able than he has been. He is having a bit of a problem with his right leg at the moment. Last night he woke and indicated it was uncomfortable, I think it was aching rather than sore, and this evening his foot is really icy icy cold. I have been rubbing it for about 1/2 hour and it has warmed slightly, though not much. He has also taken his ankle brace off and put his slippers on which is unusual. He has also been trying to wiggle his toes without much success - he can usually do this. I have noticed he isn't lifting his foot as much as usual when walking. I need to keep an eye on how this progresses. The right arm seems to have been a bit painful today too.
The aphasia, again, is causing problems. I think this is the reason he has been so down this last couple of days. He keeps getting up, moving to another chair or sofa, then just sitting there staring at the floor for a while before moving on again. I asked him today why he was doing this but, of course, couldn't really get an answer. He just seemed really upset about the whole scenario. I suggested I contact the doctor and see about some anti-depressants and suggested this may make him feel better and try to do more to get a breakthrough - but this met with an emphatic shake of the head. So, we finally agreed to do more work tomorrow with letter recognition. He feels he isn't doing very well at all, whereas he is as he can pick out some letters.
When we went out for a walk this afternoon he wobbled a couple of times on the steps and very nearly went over, none of this makes him feel any better. Or me, come to that. I feel I should push him on to do things but I haven't got the heart when he doesn't want to do it. I am trying to get him to give a clue when he wants to say something - no luck so far, and this is so frustrating when I can't find the subject, despite many many suggestions. So, all in all, I don't feel of much use at the moment. It is at these times that I feel quite isolated and on my own.
But, I have to keep telling myself, tomorrow is another day and may be quite different.

No comments:

Post a Comment