Sunday 25 November 2012

Trip Out

I think I am starting to be more accepting of our situation and realise I have to take it day by day and not just see a long dark road ahead - which is how I felt yesterday. I am pretty sure it was reaction to Friday - which seemed fine at the time, but yesterday it just hit me that there is no five minute fix. I knew that really, but being told there isn't much going to improve with Pete's arm and that his communication will continue for 2 or 3 years, it seemed that we had 2 or 3 years of being the same as we are now - and, of course, that is not the case. It is going to happen but it will be over time and quite slow. But today I feel I probably will be able to deal with it, providing I don't try to see the future! No looking ahead too far, just accept every tiny step as he takes it. It does seem that we are pushing rocks with feathers at times, but other times I feel very positive and feel we are on a roll - so, just roll with it, deal with each day as it comes and goes, accept there will be bad times but there will also be good times. Pete hasn't been too smiley of late and I really miss that, but they will return.
Today we have been watching the news a lot about all the flooding, it has not affected us thank goodness but we really feel for all the people who have had their homes flooded. We would normally have had a good talk about this and I do miss that. But never mind!
This afternoon we went out with Martin, Robbie and Ella (whilst poor Mel was at work!!) and we went to Westward Ho! and into the arcades. Parked in the Disabled Bays and displayed Blue Badge for first time!! Then we had to get to the arcade which was fairly near, but had to look at all the kerbs to cross the road - this is all so new, and we take so much for granted. I can't get the wheelchair over a normal kerb as Pete is about 10 stone and then the wheelchair weighs about 35 to 40 lbs, so it is impossible for me unless we find all the dropped kerbs. Luckily, the arcade was all wheelchair friendly and we had a really enjoyable time there with the kids. We walked along and could see the sea which was quite rough in places and very loud!! Very bracing as they say! Just to get out and about and mix with everyone (again you never think about this) in a normal way was so good. When we came out it was raining again!!
This evening we have done FaceTime with Adrian which is always nice, and Pete really enjoys seeing him, even though he can't say anything. But always a bit emotional when we have finished.
Then, cherry on the cake, we have arranged to go to Martin and Mel for Christmas lunch.
Altogether, a much more positive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment